When our immune system is in tip top condition, you probably don’t even realise just how hard it is working to protect you from a constant barrage of nasty viruses and bacteria. So first of all, if you are feeling good today, go ahead and thank your immune system.
We think you should also give yourself a round of applause too, for looking after your immune system so well. But really, the immune system is the real hero here.
Because of this, it becomes so easy to take your immune system for granted as it does such a great job of keeping you safe and healthy.
But now more than ever we know that the state of our overall health and wellness has a huge impact on how viruses and bacteria can affect our lives. Being fit and healthy has never been as important as it is right now!
Your immune system is a special system of organs, cells and chemicals that work in harmony to fight infection. But it isn't the only thing that is protecting us from harmful viruses and bacteria.
Your skin, and the mucous linings in your lungs and digestive tracts all act as physical barriers that work alongside your immune system to try and keep disease and infection from getting into your bloodstream and making you ill.
Nutrition & Diet
Good nutrition plays a massive part in this and we all know that we need to eat a healthy, balanced diet in order to promote good health and wellness. The guidelines are 5-7 portions of fruit and vegetables every day, but this can be hard for many of us to achieve.
Lack of time and cost are two of the most common reasons why we often don’t hit our 5-a-day guideline.
By eating plenty of different fruits and vegetables, we are giving our immune system and in particular, our gut, the very best chance to stay healthy and keep us safe.
Did you know there are around 40 trillion bacteria in the human body (we know…wow), most of which you will find in your intestines. And the foods that we eat and don’t eat can have a direct impact on the types of bacteria that live inside your body. Collectively, this is called your gut microbiota. And generally, the more diverse your microbiota is, the better.
Unfortunately, a Western diet is not the most diverse and as expected is very high in fats and sugars. So, a variety of fruits and vegetables which are high in natural fibre is going to provide your gut with all the tools it needs to grow.
A healthy gut flora is essential for overall health & wellness and there are a few quick and easy things you can do or eat to promote better gut health, today!
- Eat plenty of foods rich in prebiotics and probiotics such as: oats, bananas and natural yoghurt. All of these can help promote the growth of healthy gut bacteria.
- Exercise! Is there anything exercise can’t do… studies have shown that higher fitness levels have been associated with an abundance in healthy gut bacteria. So when you next go to the gym or go for run, while you are at it, just think about how getting active and improving your fitness is also improving your digestive health!
- Being healthy isn’t just about our diet, our fitness or our sleep. Stress can have a detrimental effect on your body. Research on this topic is relatively new but is promising so far. With early studies showing that high stress levels can be associated with a reduction in friendly gut bacteria. If you are regularly feeling quite stressed and run down, try and find some time to focus on reducing that. You could try yoga or meditation, going for a walk or just spending quality and relaxing time with your friends and loved ones.
Even after addressing all of these, for many it is still difficult to clinch that all important 5-a-day.
Our mission here at U Perform is to support our U Perform family in improving their quality of life through the use of evidence-based, science-led, innovative sports nutrition.
U Perform active greens is our science-led, evidence-backed, vegan, green superfood blend, that we created to support the body’s essential processes; from the immune system & digestive health to mental clarity & focus, and lots more.
U Perform active greens is a convenient and hassle-free way to kick-start your day and give your body the nutritious boost it needs.
- Boosts immune function
- Rich in antioxidants & probiotics
- Detoxifies the body
- Improves gut microbiome & digestive health
- Increases energy levels & focus
- Improves cognitive function
- Combats sugar cravings
This nutrient-dense green superfood blend has been formulated to deliver a balanced variety of micro-nutrients including amino acids, essential fatty acids, enzymes, probiotics & antioxidants.
The natural green foods featured in active greens are an excellent source of vitamins and minerals, dietary fibre and even contains ingredients that help to trap and remove bad cholesterol from the body.
Antioxidant-rich foods and supplements can help balance the immune system. Many fruits and vegetable are packed full of carotenoids and flavonoids; types of antioxidants that can positively stimulate an immune response.
The high level of antioxidants that each serving delivers also contributes to your five-a-day.