This is another one of our quick and easy, tasty snacks that you are going to love. All you need is a food blender and a saucepan, there is no baking involved, so why not get the children involved in making these tasty brownies. They are a great energy boost and look beautiful too.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes
Chilling time: 30 minutes
Makes 8-12 individual brownies, depending on how generous you are when cutting them.
For the bars:
- 150g pitted dates
- 40g raw walnuts
- 40g raw pecans halves
- 75g cup shelled pistachios, divided – see instructions
- 40g unsweetened desiccated coconut
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon of sea salt
- 40g goji berries
- 1 tablespoon warm water, if necessary to get the texture right
For the topping:
- 50g dark chocolate
- 1 tablespoon shelled pistachios
- 1 tablespoon goji berries
- 1 tablespoon chopped pecans
- Sea salt, coarse grain for sprinkling on top
- Add the dates, walnuts, pecans, only 40g of pistachios to the bowl of a food blender. Blend until chunky. Next add in unsweetened desiccated coconut, chia seeds, cocoa powder, coconut oil, and vanilla extract. Blend again until the mixture is chunky and slightly clumping. If the mixture is dry, add 1-2 tablespoons of warm water, until it all comes together.
- Next, add in the remaining 35g of pistachios and goji berries and pulse again a few times until pistachios are slightly chunky. Add mixture into a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper, pressing evenly towards the sides of the tray.
- Add the dark chocolate to a small saucepan and place over low heat until melted. You can also microwave it for 30-second increments, stirring in between until chocolate is fully melted and smooth. Pour over the bars, tilting tray so that the chocolate covers the bars evenly. Garnish the bars with 1 tablespoon of the following, while the chocolate is still warm so they stick to the bars: pistachios, goji berries, and crushed pecans.
- Place the tray into the freezer for 30 minutes-1 hour to harden. Once they are ready to serve, sprinkle with coarse grain sea salt then cut into 8-12 squares.
These tasty brownies are best served chilled. They will keep fresh for a week if you keep them in the fridge, or longer if you freeze them.
If you like this recipe, why not try our other recipes… we post one every Saturday, giving you something to try over the weekend.
Please show us photos of you making or eating them and tag us in the photo. We love sharing these moments with you. Let us know what you think of this recipe in the comments below and share this with someone you know who would love to try these brownies.